A car heater is used to regulate heat in the car cooling system. An AC compressor plays a vital role in the car’s air conditioning system. It helps circulate warm air throughout the vehicle. But a common curiosity among the car owner: will the heater work without an AC compressor in the car?
Yes, the heater in your car will still work even if the AC compressor is not functioning. Note that the heater and the AC system are separate systems in your car. So, these are not dependent on each other’s functions. However, the Car engine will work harder and use more fuel without an AC compressor.
In this guide, we will explain how car heaters and AC compressors work. Can a car heater work without an AC compressor?
- 1 How do car heaters and AC compressors work?
- 2 Can a car heater work without an AC compressor?
- 3 Comparison between a car heater and a car AC compressor
- 4 FAQ:
- 5 Final Notes
How do car heaters and AC compressors work?
Car heaters and air conditioning (AC) compressors work in different ways. But these both rely on the principles of thermodynamics to transfer heat. Here is our explanation of how car heaters and AC compressors work.
Working Process of Car Heaters
- The car’s engine produces heat as it burns fuel. And this heat is transferred to the coolant that circulates through the engine.
- After that, the coolant is pumped through a small radiator called a heater core. Do note that the radiator is located under the dashboard inside the car.
- The coolant transfers some heat to the car’s air when it flows through the core.
- A blower motor pushes the warm air into the car’s cabin through a series of ducts.
- The driver can adjust the temperature and flow of the warm air using controls on the dashboard.
Working Process of an AC Compressor
- The AC system in a car uses a Freon chemical to transfer heat from the inside to the outside of the car.
- The engine creates pressure through the AC compressor.
- Due to creating pressure on the refrigerant, it heats up and becomes hot.
- As a result, the hot gas is passed through a condenser, a small radiator located in front of the car.
- Then the hot gas turns into liquid after passing through the condenser.
- The cool liquid is then passed through an expansion valve to reduce pressure and temperature.
- Afterward, the cooled and low-pressured liquid passed through an evaporator inside the car.
- After it passes through the evaporator, the liquid absorbs heat from the air inside the car and turns it back into a gas.
- Then the cool gas passes back through the compressor, where the cycle starts again.
Can a car heater work without an AC compressor?
Yes, a car heater can work without an AC compressor. The car heater and the AC system are separate systems that operate independently. Even car heaters and AC compressors are individual from the perspective of their components.
The car heater system consists of a heater core, a fan, a thermostat, and a control valve. On the contrary, the AC system consists of an AC compressor, an evaporator, and a condenser.
Also, note that the car heater uses the engine’s coolant to heat the air blown into the vehicle’s cabin. Remember that as long as the engine is running, the coolant will be flowing till then. On the other hand, the AC system uses a compressor and refrigerant to cool the air. Some car owners get confused and ask if my ac doesn’t work will my heat work in my car? So, the answer is yes. If the AC compressor is not functioning or has been disconnected, the car heater will still be able to heat the air in the cabin.
Many car owners are worried about whether they will ac work without heater core? Yes, ac can work without a heater core.
Related AC: How to Reset AC on Chevy Silverado
Comparison between a car heater and a car AC compressor
A car heater and air conditioning (AC) compressor serve different purposes in a vehicle. Here is a comparison of some key differences between these.
A car heater is designed to produce heat and circulate it throughout the interior. It relies on the engine to generate heat and transfer it to the heater core. So that air can circulate through the ventilation system.
On the other hand, the AC compressor is responsible for pumping refrigerant through the air conditioning system. It helps to cool the air inside the vehicle by removing heat and humidity from the air.
Also Read: Best Cold Air Intake for 6.2 Denali
A car heater consists of a heater core, a series of tubes and hoses, a ventilation system and a control system.
But an AC compressor consists of a compressor, an evaporator, a condenser, and a system of hoses and valves.
The primary purpose of a car heater is to provide warmth and comfort to the occupants of the vehicle, especially in cold weather.
The primary purpose of a car AC compressor is to cool the air inside the vehicle and improve the overall comfort of the occupants, especially in hot weather.
A car heater typically requires relatively little maintenance. But it is important to ensure the ventilation system is clean and functioning properly.
A car AC compressor requires regular maintenance to ensure its functioning properly. So, you can check and replace the refrigerant. Leak and damage checking is also included in the maintenance of a car AC compressor.
1. Does ac compressor affect heat in the car?
Yes, the air conditioning (AC) compressor can affect the heat in your car. The AC compressor is a vital component of the air conditioning system to regulate the temperature inside the car. Also, the AC compressor releases heat outside the car. This process helps to cool the air inside the car. If the compressor is not running, the temperature inside the car may become too hot.
2. Will heat work if the compressor is bad in the car?
The heat may still work if the compressor is bad in a car. But it is not guaranteed. The compressor is responsible for pumping refrigerant through the air conditioning system in a car. If the compressor is not functioning properly, it can affect the ability to produce heat.
So, we hope you got the answer to the question,” Will the heater work without ac compressor in the car?” Yes, a car heater can work without an ac compressor. A car heater and an AC compressor are separate in their function, work and components.
But remember that a car heater has an impact on the cooling system of a car. If you have anything to know about this guide, let us know so we can update it.
Hello, this is Wesley Shelton, currently working in a car restoration company for over 5 years. Before that, I was a worker at a small car repair shop. As I was a car freak from a young age and worked as a professional for over half a decade, I think I now know pretty much everything about every car and its parts. To establish my name as a professional and help others by sharing my knowledge, I’ve created this website, which I work on whenever I get free time. I hope you’ve enjoyed my informative blog!